One Competition, Three Challenges

“IT’S NOT ABOUT THE DRONES” We experience this first hand on a daily basis at WeRobotics and across the Flying Labs network. Only approximately 10% of time is actually invested in the drone itself, the other 90% is all about data and community and stakeholder engagement. So why is it that most organizations concentrate their efforts today on the 10%? We teamed up with Omidyar Network to tackle and find solutions for the remaining 90%, what we call the “enabling environment”. And we count on unusual solvers to find and build solutions that fit the specific needs of the Global South! 1 COMPETITION Participate now and enter your idea before August 31, 2019. 9 finalists will win USD 15,000 each to turn their idea into a concept and create a strong pitch. And then compete for the grand prize of USD 100,000 for the best solution. 3 CHALLENGES Tackle the 3 most pressing challenges we encounter in our work today: how to produce impactful analysis in a rapid manner, how to bring back results to beneficiaries to turn data into action and how to make ethics a main concern in each step of the process. Learn more at UnusualSolvers.org. The post One Competition, Three Challenges appeared first on RotorDrone. “IT’S NOT ABOUT THE DRONES” We experience this first hand on a daily basis at WeRobotics and across the Flying Labs network. Only approximately 10% of time is actually invested in the drone itself, the other 90% is all about data and community and

Read more...

Mining & Aggregates Survey Results

Mining & Aggregates Survey Results

Kespry, the leading drone-based aerial intelligence solution provider, today announced the results of the industry’s first mining and aggregates customer survey. Kespry surveyed its 220 mining and aggregates customers that use its platform across 3,311 worksites across North America, with 22,987 missions in 2018 alone. These companies typically use Kespry for inventory management, mine planning, materials management, contractor benchmarking, and boosting employee safety. “These survey results highlight why our growing customer base continues expanding its usage of Kespry,” said George Mathew, CEO, Kespry. “More and more mining and aggregates companies are experiencing tremendous productivity, efficiency and safety benefits as they standardize on Kespry and roll out our platform across multiple sites and geographies. We couldn’t be more pleased with the positive feedback and insight into how Kespry is positively impacting companies’ operations and the day-to-day lives of mining and aggregates employees for the better.” The post Mining & Aggregates Survey Results appeared first on RotorDrone. Kespry, the leading drone-based aerial intelligence solution provider, today announced the results of the industry’s first mining and aggregates customer survey. Kespry surveyed its 220 mining and aggregates customers that use its platform across 3,311 worksites across North America, with 22,987 missions in 2018 alone. These companies typically use Kespry for inventory management, mine planning, materials […] The post Mining & Aggregates Survey Results appeared first on RotorDrone. […] Read More

Read more...

Drone Delivery Canada Grows

Drone Delivery Canada (DDC) has announced that it has entered into an agreement with Air Canada effective May 29, 2019 whereby Air Canada Cargo will market and sell DDC’s drone delivery services in Canada using Air Canada Cargo’s marketing and sales platforms and resources. Pursuant to the terms of the agreement and subject to DDC obtaining required regulatory approvals, DDC will build and operate up to 150,000 drone delivery routes in Canada. These routes will include timetables, flight schedules, payload capacities, type of drones to be deployed, and payment terms. DDC’s services will be marketed as a premium offering, and Air Canada Cargo has agreed that it shall not use or engage with any other drone delivery service providers. Air Canada Cargo has agreed to sell, market and promote DDC’s drone delivery services on the agreed routes, leveraging Air Canada Cargo’s expertise in the cargo world, brand presence and sales network. “This agreement greatly accelerates our commercial roll out in Canada“, commented Tony Di Benedetto CEO of DDC. “Our drone delivery services will be extensively marketed as we work to establish operations across the country leveraging Air Canada Cargo’s brand presence and their established sales network and marketing reach. DDC will benefit from Air Canada’s Cargo’s expertise and ability to promote and sell DDC services through Air Canada Cargo’s industry leading marketing and sales technology channels in Canada, which will support our efforts to establish DDC as Canada’s first national drone cargo solution. Next, DDC hopes to pursue even larger markets in the United States and Europe.” “Air Canada is pleased to partner with Drone Delivery Canada, a

Read more...

Free FAA Webinars

After receiving positive feedback and constructive input, the FAA has optimized their program content and added a session to include the recent changes to recreational flying. Webinar schedule: June 19, 2019 2 P.M. ET                 Public Safety: How to Start a Drone Program June 27, 2019 4 P.M. ET                 Recreational Flyers: Fly Safe. Have Fun. July 18, 2019 4 P.M. ET                  What is the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability? August 1, 2019 4 P.M. ET                How to Navigate UAS Facility Maps August 13, 2019 4 P.M. ET              How to use the FAA Drone Zone September 12, 2019 4 P.M. ET       How Public Safety Agencies can Fly Drones During Emergencies   The FAA has canceled the webinar on June 13: “Airspace authorizations: what are they and why do they matter”. The content from this webinar will be incorporated in the webinar: “What is the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification System?” Registration will open two weeks prior to the session on the FAA website Webinar Format: Webinar sessions are hosted in audio and visual format via GoToWebinar. Audio transmits via device speakers or a connected headset You must download the GoToWebinar software on your computer, smartphone/tablet app, or use the link provided in your registration email. Upon registering for the webinar, you will receive a unique URL that you will use to access the webinar. On the day of the

Read more...

Drone Travel 101

Drone Travel 101

My recent exposure into the world of drones has led me to using my 30 years of aviation experience to teach UAV ground schools and write documents for UAV operators in Canada. While my aviation roles cover several operational areas, my role as Flight Dispatcher, Private Pilot and Operations Manager have provided a wealth of knowledge that I apply to instruction and the safe operation of drones. One of my passions is travel. Returning home with photographs of the places I visit with my wife are memories that will last a lifetime. For many, drones have changed the way photographs are taken while on vacation. Our recent vacation to Playa Dorado in the Dominican Republic became my first opportunity to travel with a drone and attempt aerial photography in the Caribbean. When purchasing a drone, I was looking for a lower priced design that had both GPS and a 1080 camera. I wasn’t prepared to commit to a high end, professional drone. I felt that I should gain flight and photo experience on a lower end model prior to committing financial resources to the more expensive models available. I knew that eventually I would open my wallet and go for an expensive drone that offered more bells and whistles and was designed for professional use. My dream-drone remains “to be determined” as there are many excellent options available to the pro consumer. After much research, I selected the Helifar B3 Epik. The reviews on this drone were excellent, it came

Read more...